ContextMoney flows in the always relevant cryptocurrency Bitcoin can nowadays be traced relatively well. However, the need for new forensic methods is already foreseeable due to the advancing technical development: virtual financial assets, so-called crypto-assets, and financial products like tokens and smart contracts as well as off-chain payment channels are increasingly used and will soon make current blockchain forensic tools obsolete.
GoalsThe expected outcomes of the project are:
- a legal assessment of the developed methods and regulatory recommendations with regard to tokens and payment channels
- new forensic methods for the analysis of generic crypto-assets that will be integrated as program modules into existing tools (e.g. BlockSci, GraphSense)
- a systematic analysis and risk assessment of crypto-assets
- formats for a harmonized exchange of data between involved partners
- a coordinated cryptocurrency forensics curriculum as a qualification measure for investigators.